Valentine’s Day is all about love, flowers and all things red. When I pitched my recipe ideas for Valentine’s Day to Zak, one the list were red velvet cookies. It was maybe a day or so when I had the thought, why not red velvet donuts? I have a recipe on my blog for baked donuts that I use often that is simple to make and the donuts are plump and delicious. A little red food coloring and a dash of cocoa powder made them super festive and scrumptious. I hope you’re enjoying all things red, just like I am.
Baked Red Velvet Donuts Recipe Instructions
baked red velvet donuts recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red gel food coloring, such as Wilton
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Red sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a donut baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl or batter bowl, add the flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix until fluffy with a whisk.
- Add the milk, eggs, food coloring and olive oil and mix until just combined.
- Carefully pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until the tops are no longer tacky.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Combine all ingredients for icing in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring in-between heating.
- Heat until cream cheese melts and frosting is a runny consistency..
- Add additional milk if frosting becomes too thick.
- Dip the cooled donuts in the icing and sprinkle with candy sprinkles of your choice.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.