These mashed potatoes are buttery, creamy and extravagant. This uncomplicated recipe calls for four simple ingredients to make the most sumptuous mashed potatoes ever. Using the proper type of potato is the key. Gold potatoes are the best choice because they are less sticky and heavy than red potatoes as well as creamier than russets. When the potatoes are peeled and sliced, some of their starch is released and rinsed away to avoid developing a gluey texture, The potatoes are cut into rounds rather than chunks, allowing more surface area to be exposed and allowing more starch to be rinsed away. After cooking, the potatoes are returned to the pot over low heat for a couple of minutes longer to cook away excess moisture. This allows the potatoes to hold more butter and cream. These potatoes are so special and delicious, smothering them in gravy is not recommended. This allows you to appreciate every drop of creamy flavor.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes Recipe Instructions
Buttery Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 4 pounds gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cubes unsalted butter cut into 12 Tablespoon size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Slice the potatoes into 1 inch or less slices. Place the slices in a colorful Zak colander and rinse away as much starch as possible by running them under cool water.
- In a sturdy pot or Dutch oven, add water to the potatoes, covering them with an inch of water. Bring them to a boil and continue boiling over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Heat the butter, salt and cream in a saucepan over medium low heat until the butter is completely melted. Keep warm.
- Use your Zak colander again to drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the cooking pot. Cook them over low heat for approximately one or two more minutes or until thoroughly dry. Stir often.
- Press the potatoes into a large bowl. If you have one, a ricer or food mill works well for this step.
- Fold the butter cream mixture gently into the potatoes with a spatula or a Zak happy face spoon. Continue folding until the potatoes are silky smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.