It’s summertime and for me that means it’s time to dust off the camping gear and find a nice spot to set up camp and enjoy nature! Even now that I’m in my 30’s I still consider S’mores to be a crucial part of the camping experience. It’s just hard to beat a gooey marshmallow with chocolate.
Even if you don’t go camping though, you can get the same flavors in cupcake form right in your kitchen! I like to make a really good chocolate cupcake and then top it with marshmallow topping with some chocolate for a perfect snack!
These cupcakes are homemade but they are really simple. To start, just whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until they are light and fluffy. You can either use a stand mixer or a hand mixer for this. Once the butter mixture is light and fluffy, stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
Then add in 1/2 of the dry ingredients, followed by the milk (or buttermilk), followed by the last of the dry ingredients.
Next, just spoon the batter between 12 cupcake tins. You should fill each cupcake 2/3 of the way full as they will expand quite a bit as they bake. This recipe is for a small batch of cupcakes, but the recipe is easy to double or triple. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 17-18 minutes.
When the cupcakes come out, be sure to let them cool and then spoon on a heaping spoonful of marshmallow cream. I probably used about 2 tablespoons per cupcake but you can eyeball it.
Then crank up your broiler to high and put the cupcakes under the broiler for about 45 seconds. That should be enough to lightly caramelize the marshmallow topping but keep an eye on the cupcakes as they can burn easily.When the topping is lightly browned, remove the cupcakes and top each cupcake with a chocolate square!
Let these cool a little bit before serving. They are great slightly warm or at room temperature!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
S’more Cupcakes Recipe
Total Time: 1 hours
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups Marshmallow fluff
- 12 chocolate squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and sugars and cream together until smooth. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the mix and just stir until you can’t see flour, then add milk or buttermilk, followed by rest of dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter between 12 cupcake tins. Fill them about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 17-18 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool and then add a heaping spoonful of marshmallow fluff to the top of each cupcake.
- Turn broiler on high and broil the cupcakes for 45-60 seconds until the marshmallow topping just starts to caramelize.
- Remove cupcakes from broiler and top each cupcake with a chocolate square.
- Let cool for a minute before serving.